Thursday, November 19, 2009

Been Getting Bald Lately?

Okay, so we are pushing an R-rating. I found this one DEEP in the archives, dating back to the days at Berkeley. Sometime around '75. Back in those days, I was totally in to R. Crumb (oh, wait, I still am...) and ZAP Comix (I have almost every ZAP published). There was a great store on Telegraph Ave called Comix & Comics. I spent a lot of time there. I remember reading an ad in the local paper for a guy who wanted someone to draw his concepts. He claimed to have great ideas, but couldn't draw, and so, when I met him, we decided we could take all the magazines that accept cartoons by storm!!
So, this was one of the few ditties before we gave up. We sent cartoons to Playboy, of course. But also New Yorker, and a couple of others. Nothing published, but I got a couple of fun new drawings for my portfolio...
I like this toon for a number of reasons. First, it shows the style of the times. Note the angled wood panelling, deep red plush carpet, macra-may hanging plant, and of course the Farrah Fawcett hair style!!
I have never been very good at drawing gorgeous babes. Sounds sexist, but there ya go. Anyway, this was one of my better attempts, and the poor guy...he looks exactly the way I feel when in the presence of a gorgeous woman...kerflumexed!!!
Cute punch line too, don't you think?!

3 comments:

  1. Put up the "Going Through My Drawers" comic! I always thought that one was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... what can I say that won't get me into trouble?

    ReplyDelete